Friday, August 31, 2012

Andres Iniesta wins UEFA Best Player In Europe Award

The only reason I'm writing something about this was because Cristiano Ronaldo was a candidate of the award. I really haven't had the chance to watch Andres Iniesta but I have heard that he was really good and after seeing Barcelona's four matches (2 in La Liga and 2 against Real Madrid), of course I agree. But can't hide the fact that I'm a bit disappointed with the result. No, I never think Iniesta was not deserving of the award. I know how Lionel Messi had given him almost half the credit of his goals to his teammates and that was Iniesta and Xavi, I'm also aware of what Iniesta did to help Spain retain their Euro Championship, I was just perhaps, really expecting Cristiano Ronaldo will get it. As UEFA had presented the candidates, the top three that was voted was of course all deserving of their spots. The stats had shown it;

Andres Iniesta
  • 42 Total Appearances, 3079 Minutes Played, 5 Goals
  • 11 Assists, 87 Goal Attempts
  • 30 Matches won,10 Matches Drawn,2 Matches Lost
Lionel Messi
  • 48 Total Appearances, 4258 Minutes Played, 64 Goals
  • 21 Assists, 278 Goal Attempts
  • 30 Matches Won, 8 Matches Drawn, 4 Matches Lost
Cristiano Ronaldo
  • 58 Total Appearances, 5214 Minutes Played, 64 Goals
  • 16 Assists, 403 Goal Attempts
  • 46 Matches Won, 7 Matches Drawn, 5 Matches Lost
Seeing the stats, I,  as Cristiano Ronaldo fan know and believed he had this great chance of winning it. But I've heard that Lionel Messi also have a great chance too since their stats were almost incredibly the same and Messi was actually the real favourites of most media men. And since this award will be decided by chosen media men, I got a bit worried just the same. I know Ronaldo was not liked by many, his personality was not usually the best, but I personally believed he was misunderstood. I thought too that on this one, I guess they will consider what the players had really done, and having Ronaldo leading Madrid to the La Liga title and Euro semis will help, it had to some 17 voters. Voting ends with Iniesta getting 19 votes to lead and Messi also having 17 same as Ronaldo. I was able to see the awarding ceremony, and I really did see how Ronaldo reacts, it really was a grimace. Before this I saw an interview of him and he was confident and hoping he can get it. I can only be sad for Ronaldo.

Photo Credit: Ives Galarcep Twitter


Again, no hating, Iniesta definitely deserves the award. I felt okay when I have read that Iniesta said Cristiano Ronaldo personally congratulated him and commented that he can tell he (Ronaldo) is an amazing person. Ronaldo I'm sure, eventhough disappointed will be okay with it afterwards.

Not really feeling okay though when Barcelona player Gerard Pique tweeted this "Congratulations to the journalist representing Spain and did not vote for Andres Iniesta", the journalist voted for Ronaldo, I don't know why he have to question him.

Some also anticipating if Messi and Iniesta and Ronaldo greet each other, actually I don't think they did when they were presented at the stage, but I just felt Ronaldo was just like that, its nothing personal.

I'm going to forget what I had anticipated over this. I know Ronaldo's a great player and a great person. He knows that, people close to him knows that, and I think that all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate